Thursday, August 16, 2012

Week 1 acting as independent Project Manager came sooner than expected! Erin was sick this past week, and so there was no choice but to try to pick up the loose threads of her work and schedule all the volunteers and staff on projects for the whole week.

The good, and bad, thing about Erin not being here to supervise me is that I am being exposed to everything at once. I have a running list of things I don't understand, want to change, or think are useless. I feel like I'm on my way to grasping the inter-workings of this organization. The most difficult thing is probably directing staff that are far older than me. Basically, I gave up acting like I knew what was going on pretty quickly. I have assumed the role of new, humble project manager, who will, one fine day in the distant future, have it all together. Luckily, the staff are all very helpful and lovely...almost too helpful and lovely. I've learned to distinguish between the "yes's" that actually mean yes, and the "yes's" that mean no. "Yes's" that mean yes: (nod, smile) "yes!" "Yes's" that mean no: (eyes downcast) "yes," (long pause, quietly) "yes," or, the most embarrassing, "you're the boss!"

Another Zambian workplace finding: here, the polite thing is to accept what's offered, not to refuse until it's pushed upon you like it seems to work in Western culture. I discovered this when I offered my coworker some of my crackers. It went something like this, Me: "Would you like some?" Coworker: "Yes I do" "Take as many as you want!" "...(eating)..." "...(eating)..." "I may not eat any more?" It took most of my crackers before she finally admitted she didn't want any! So funny.
 

Went on a few more projects, like Holiday Club at a community school called Zambezi Sawmills. There were probably over 150 kids, divided among 6 of us volunteers, charged with the task of entertaining them for 3 hours. So much fun, but so thoroughly exhausting. We painted noodles (an Italian volunteer's idea, haha) and separated the kids into different age groups to monitor them. The youngest ones just sort of stared in unblinking awe as we held their little hands and painted for them, while the older ones preferred painting each others' faces. There were two little girls that took turns jumping on my back in the chaos when I wasn't paying attention, and when I finally sat down for 2 minutes maybe 10 came over to play with my hair. At least I have some built in entertainment for when I'm too tired to go on. We read a book about little girls having a sleepover, until I realized that none of them had ever slept over at each others houses. Somehow the fact that these exuberant, funny, curious 13 and 14 year old girls had never gossiped in sleeping bags over bowls of popcorn and a cheesy teen movie depressed me more than their obvious lack of adequate nutrition, medical care or adult attention. Maybe it's easier for me to imagine more superficial deprivations, the others are just too daunting to comprehend.

Update from last weekend: went to Bovu island with a group of volunteers that I really enjoy spending time with. Bovu island is a private island in the Zambezi river, with little beaches, hammocks, winding paths through the jungle and nice mosquito-netted beds overlooking the river. It was so relaxing, ridiculously cheap, and the stars at night are incredible! May or may not have re-enacted the Lion King starry night scene where Simba talks to his dad, who's chilling in the sky in a funky cloud formation.

Those volunteers that I went with are leaving tomorrow, which is quite sad. Thankfully I have some interesting things planned, like white water rafting (haha, everyone who knows that I secretly don't like this...how else am I supposed to bond with my coworkers?!), and a Zambian coworker invited me and some other staff for dinner next week. Stephen, the sports coordinator, is leaving as well so we're planning a big goodbye Bry (think barbecue) next week. A lot of things are changing! I just hope Erin comes back so I can learn more from her before she leaves!



No comments:

Post a Comment