Monday, August 6, 2012

Highlights: Things I never thought I'd do but have done in the past week:
 - eaten a caterpillar. It was crunchy, and just as disgusting as you're imagining.
 - walked through a waterfall at the exact point between 2 countries (Zambia and Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls!)
 - Got robbed by a monkey. By robbed, I mean it ran up to me and stole a sugar packet before I could make my tea.
 - Helped coach some Zambian kids through a track meet on a soccer field. Minor alterations: no track, soccer ball as a shotput, metal poles for batons, and a very loose interpretation of the words "get set" and "go." My favorite day here so far.
 - made a cheesecake (okay so I guess that's not so extraordinary, but it is when it's in Africa) with Hannah.

Lowlights: things I'd rather not have done
 - Went to police station again to "recover" a lost ipod. Some tough volunteer leader love: a little kid in some remote village has it now, and it doesn't matter how much monkey you pay the corrupt policeman to search for it, you're never seeing it again. I'll venture to say that it's not such a huge loss when one really sits down and ponders the situation.
 - Terrible dreams and other unmentionable symptoms from my current malaria meds. They're going over the falls one of these days, so they can never ruin anyone else's body again.

Other news
 - Tonight we're eating Nshima! Ugali, to those in the east. Not exactly the most flavorful or satisfying thing in the world, sort of like tasteless mashed potatoes, but I like experiencing local foods. And it's always entertaining to introduce the new volunteers to the wonders of Nshima.
 - 10 volunteers left today, and 10 more came! The new ones are from Italy, Sweden, Ireland and England. Should make for interesting dinner conversation (over bowls of Nshima).
 - Went for nice long run yesterday, interrupted by children running out from secret hiding places on the golf course and shouting "mzungu!" "hello how are you?" "marry me, please!" Startling but cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment