Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I never know how to start these entries?! Dearest blog...so things are normalizing in their craziness, if that makes any sense. I've officially started work, which entails me shadowing Erin, who is the current Project Manager.

2 things completely changed my perspective and reminded me of why I love what I love. First, I got to go out on volunteer projects! I went to the "Old People's Home" (So P.C.) and played memory and bingo with them...normally the idea of playing bingo doesn't exactly enthuse me, but this is a whole different game, so to speak. These people are serious about their bingo. I can understand, seeing as I'm really not sure what else they get up to besides sitting on their mats in the sun (the indoor area doesn't look all that hospitable) and making rope out of strands of hemp. But it was amazing how happy they were to simply interact with us and play some silly games. They were pretty competitive and when they won they got so excited, even though we didn't have any kind of reward for the winners. I'll admit I may have skewed the numbers so they could all win at least once each...it was just so clear that this was the highlight of their day.

I also went to adult literacy club, which was probably my favorite. When we arrived, all the women rolled out their banana-leaf mats in the shade under a tree while their kids played in the background. I helped teach two of the women English, just by going through a book with them, making up spelling and comprehension tests. It was so awesome that I was able to teach them new words despite the language barrier, and they were so determined and eager to learn! They were so lovely and open that I ended up just wanting to talk to them, and they told me about their children. Dorothy has 8 and Emily has 6, ranging from 27 to 7 years old! They all walk to 3 miles to church everyday, the mothers sell vegetables in the marketplace, and Dorothy's oldest recently passed away due to AIDS. Probably only a 15 minute conversation, but it was so affecting that I couldn't think about anything else all day.

Why have I been complaining about...anything ever? I think I have to keep going to these projects. I can't be sitting in the office all day managing from a desk, even though it is an open-air office with cool people, I have to go out and see people and things! But onto item 2,

I started going to the gym with Erin and Hannah. May not sound that exciting, but there is a huge golf course with paths and hills and crossing many different fields. I've been running there after work for the past 2 days and, as I should have known about myself by now, I need that for feeling at home anywhere. It has been hot during the day and cool at night, so by the time work ends its this fabulous evening light and slight chill that is perfect for a peaceful run.

Besides these things, last night the staff and I watched the volunteers drink a lot and behave embarrassingly, which was entertaining, I had amazing tacos at "Fez Bar" with Erin, Hannah, and Rachel, and observed a boys soccer match near the volunteer house. I have to take the cold shower I've been dreading all day now, but this is a long entry and I feel accomplished. I will soon be planning Africa trips...so many places I want to go!

OMG Shaggy is playing on the stereo outside...Alyson and Aryn I miss you!!!! Over&out

No comments:

Post a Comment